Mobility scooters are a great way to get around and maintain your independence if you have limited mobility.
Before purchasing a mobility scooter it’s important to make sure that you are fit to use one safely. Ask your Doctor or Occupational Therapist to check your fitness to:
- Get in and out of the mobility scooter safely
- Sit for long periods of time
- Recognise hazards and obstacles in your path, including moving obstacles like pedestrians and other vehicles, to avoid collisions
- Effectively judge speeds and distances
- Steer a mobility scooter controller and manoeuvre the machine easily
- Concentrate for long periods and still be able to react quickly to sudden changes such as uneven surfaces or crowds
- Keep and shift your balance when travelling over rough terrain and slopes
- Easily get the mobility scooter in and out of its storage place
If you take medication that makes you drowsy, a mobility scooter may not be a safe option for you.