As mobility scooters and wheelchairs increase in popularity and become more widely used, unfortunately so has the number of reported thefts.
At Blue Badge Insurance, we have recently seen a significant increase in the number of mobility equipment thefts and there seems to be no signs of it slowing down.
Thieves are realising the value of mobility devices and beginning to target scooters and wheelchairs that are left unattended around people’s homes, shopping centres and other public places like common areas in apartment buildings, retirement communities and social clubs.
There’s a common misconception that simply powering down a wheelchair or locking or a scooter using the key is enough, but in most cases this doesn’t deter theft because most scooters can be put in neutral and pushed away – only to be found trashed and abandoned, or never seen again.
Having your scooter or wheelchair stolen can be devastating. Replacing your equipment can be expensive and if you rely on your device to do your daily activities it makes sense to take steps to protect your asset.
While the Blue Badge Insurance Comprehensive Mobility Equipment Insurance policy will cover you against theft, you are required to take reasonable measures to prevent opportunistic theft both at home and when you’re out and about.
Here are five simple tips to help reduce your risk of theft:
- Store your device inside your home or in a locked garage away from plain sight when not in use.
- Invest in a quality anti-theft device such as the Blue Badge Insurance Loop Lock.
- Use your anti-theft device to secure your device to something immovable such as a bicycle rack, railing or lamppost when it’s left unattended in plain sight.
- Lock the steering of your equipment if it offers this feature.
- Don’t leave any valuables in your device when it’s unattended, including items in bags and baskets.
To help our policyholders protect themselves, Blue Badge Insurance has created the Loop Lock; a quality anti-theft device created specifically for mobility equipment.
Made from strong yet lightweight materials, the Loop Lock features a double sided key making it very easy to use.