A User’s Guide To Wheelchairs
Our FREE Wheelchair Guide has everything you need to know about choosing, buying and using a wheelchair
Welcome to your one-stop guide to wheelchairs! In today’s market consumers have a lot of choice when it comes to selecting a wheelchair – and while this is good, it can also be overwhelming. Whether you have been using a wheelchair for a while or are in the market for the first time, it’s a good idea to do some research before visiting a store to get a sense of what you’re in for.
This is why we have created the Blue Badge Insurance User’s Guide to Wheelchairs.
It contains important information for both new and existing wheelchair users including practical tips about choosing, buying and using your wheelchair so you can be confident that you select the right wheelchair and that you are using it properly to ensure not just your safety, but that of everyone around you.
Read more about the guide below.
Buying a wheelchair can also be a big investment. Make sure you do your research to make sure you get the right for your long-term needs.
1. Choosing Your Wheelchair
There are numerous things to consider when selecting a wheelchair. First and foremost is the appropriateness, the usability, the fit, the comfort and the safeness of the wheelchair for the wheelchair user.
It’s also important to think about what type of wheelchair will suit your lifestyle best to ensure it can support you in everything you want to do both now and in the future.
Topics we cover include:
- Getting the right advice
- You and your needs
- Wheelchair components and accessories
- Pediatric wheelchairs
- Recreational wheelchairs
3. Using Your Wheelchair
Once you have your wheelchair, you will need to know how to use it safely and what you need to do to keep it in good condition.
This section of the guide covers a range of topics to help new and experienced wheelchair users ensure they are using their wheelchair safely.
Topics we cover include:
- Practicing– how to practice using your wheelchair
- Road rules– including speed limits, crossing roads and registration requirements
- Safety– including safety accessories and how to avoid accidents
- Transport and travelling with your wheelchair – everything you need to know about how to travel with your wheelchair on public transport, by car, by sea and by air
- Maintenance– including when, where and how often you should service your wheelchair
- Repairs– everything you should know about repairing your wheelchair
- Security– how to protect your wheelchair from theft
- Insurance– getting the cover you need to protect yourself from the costs associated with wheelchair accidents
- Roadside assistance– how to protect yourself against breakdowns and mechanical issues