Getting Funding for Your Disability Converted Car

Buying a disability converted car is a big investment. Thankfully there are various funding organisations that may be able to contribute to the costs of your car. Each of these organisations have their own qualification criteria so it’s best that you contact them directly to find out if you meet their criteria.

  • National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) – The NDIS is a national scheme aimed at supporting people with disabilities and their families. The NDIS provides Australians under the age of 65 who have a permanent and significant disability with reasonable and necessary supports to live an ordinary life. Under the NDIS people can claim funding support to make modifications that allow them to access or drive a vehicle.
  • Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA) – DVA provides support to current and former serving members and their families through a range of benefits, including vehicle modifications.
  • Icare – Pays for treatment, rehabilitation and care for people who’ve been severely injured in a motor accident in NSW.
  • Independent Living Centre, WA – The Independent Living Centre manages two grant programs for individuals with disabilities, including funding for disability related vehicle modifications.
  • Insurance Commission of Western Australia (ICWA) – ICWA manage injury insurance claims and pay for treatment and other expenses for those injured in vehicle crashes through the fault of another driver.
  • Motor Accident Commission (MAC) – MAC is responsible for the management of all South Australian CTP claims
  • Motor Accidents Insurance Board (MAIB) – MAIB administers the funding and payment of Tasmania’s compulsory third party motor accident insurance scheme.
  • National Injury Insurance Scheme, Queensland (NIISQ) – NIISQ is a no-fault scheme that provides necessary and reasonable lifetime treatment, care and support to those who sustain eligible serious personal injuries in a motor vehicle accident in Queensland.
  • State-Wide Equipment Program (SWEP) – SWEP provides subsidies towards the cost of equipment and/or modifications to Victorian residents to help improve independence in your home, assist in community participation and support families and carers in their role.
  • Territory Insurance Office – Provide assistance with disability related vehicle modifications for people injured in motor accidents in the Northern Territory.
  • Transport Accident Commission – Pays for treatment and benefits for people injured in transport accidents in Victoria.
  • Workcover NSW – Help provide work injury related vehicle modifications.
  • Work Safe VIC – Assist with work injury related vehicle modifications.


If you want to learn more about disability converted cars, download our A-Z Guide on Disability Converted Cars to learn everything you need to know about buying, owning and maintaining a disability converted vehicle.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Mobility is freedom. Protect yours with Blue Badge Insurance. Call us 1300 304 802