The NDIS is designed to help Australians with permanent disabilities. Since its introduction in 2016, the program has assisted thousands of people with the objective of helping “you reach your goals and aspirations, and take part in activities to increase your social and economic participation.”
As Australia’s first disability insurance specialists, we here at Blue Badge are often asked whether the NDIS will contribute towards disability converted cars, and the cost to insure the vehicle.
The answer is yes!
The NDIS’s website provides the following guidelines on how they will contribute towards the costs of both disability converted cars and associated insurance costs:
“The NDIA may also fund supports that are related or incidental to vehicle modifications, for example:
- driver assessments for the purpose of obtaining an endorsed license;
- driving lessons where a participant requires lessons to establish skills to use the modified vehicle, or additional lessons where a participant’s disability results in them taking longer to learn to drive;
- additional insurance costs, where an additional insurance premium is payable as a result of the modifications. Note, the NDIA will only fund the increased amount of the premium, not the total cost of the policy;
- the cost of engineering certification and other checks required for initial registration; and
- the cost of removal of modifications and reinstallation on a new vehicle when doing so is practicable and represents value for money.”
At Blue Badge Insurance, we understand how important your mobility is to you. This is why we have developed a car insurance policy specifically for disability converted cars*. The policy provides a range of tailored benefits that we know will come in handy if you have a disability, including:
- Discounted premiums, by up to 25%^.
- New for old replacement option for disability conversions°.
- Cover for your family, friends, carers or support workers who drive your car.
- Ability to choose to insure your car for agreed or market value.
- Up to $5,000 cover for assistive technology (wheelchair, walkers, mobility scooter etc.) while in your car.
- Up to $150 rental car benefit for up to 28 days following theft.
- Up to $1,000 cover for carers/support worker’s tools of trade.
- Your choice of repairer.
To help you get the maximum value from your funding, we will happily separate the cost associated with insuring your disability conversions from that of the base vehicle in our quotes, invoices and Certificate of Insurance so that you have the necessary paperwork to clearly illustrate the additional insurance costs payable as a result of the modifications.
TAC and ICare clients also qualify for some funding contribution towards your insurance costs.
If you’re interested in getting an obligation free quote to find out how we compare to your current insurer, call us on 1300 304 802 or click here to start your quote.
You can also find out more about our Comprehensive car Insurance for Disability Converted Cars here.
^Discounts for the Blue Badge Insurance Comprehensive Motor Vehicle Insurance will be applied to the base vehicle rates subject to the customer holding a permanent Disability Parking Permit and/or the vehicle has been converted for use by a driver or passengers that have a disability. The discounts do not apply to the Blue Badge Roadside Assistance Optional Benefit. Underwriting criteria will be applied to the consideration of the risk. Additional excesses will apply to drivers under 25 or those drivers who have held a full Australian drivers licence for less than 2 years. This offer may be withdrawn at any time.
° The maximum that we will pay will be the sum insured that you have told us about and is specified on your Certificate of Insurance.
* For full details of the conditions, terms, limits and exclusions and to decide whether this cover is suitable for you please read the relevant Product Disclosure Statement.